Go whale and dolphin watching off the coast of Portugal’s Pico Island. We may see blue whales, fin whales, and sei whales, among many other species!
VAN TOUR - VOLCANOES AND LAKES
- Adult 13+ years
- Children 6-12 years
Discover the volcanoes and lagoons of Pico Island
On Pico’s central plateau, there are more than 200 volcanic cones and a large number of lakes and ponds that represent rare biotopes. In this rather remote area, we can find a high level of biodiversity and still appreciate the variety of the endemic flora. We will also enjoy the most beautiful views over the ocean and the surrounding islands. There, we will be able to enjoy Pico’s nature at its best and experience the volcanic origin of the island.
We will first pick you up in Madalena for this incredible full-day adventure. During the tour, we will discover Pico’s “mysteries,” visit beautiful little lakes and several viewpoints. We will pass by Pico da Urze, a volcano offering a wonderful panorama over Pico mountain and by the volcanic complex of the island’s eastern part.
In the afternoon, after a picnic lunch the adventure continues. Provided with helmets and flashlights, we will join a guided tour through Portugal’s longest lava tube*: Gruta das Torres, 5,150m long (3,2 miles). This tube has existed for about 1,500 years and was created during an eruption coming from Cabeço Bravo. The guided tour to the cave lasts about 1 hour, during which you will be able to observe different geological formations such as stalactites, stalagmites, side benches, lava balls, and so much more.
Once back at the surface, we will drop you off back in Madalena after this long day full of wonders.
- Pick up & drop off in Madalena. (Pick up in other areas can increase the price and is to be confirmed with our services.)
- Light meal (sandwich or salad, fruit, cereal bar or cake, juice and water)
- Entrance & equipment to Gruta das Torres
- Insurance (personal accident & liability)
The tour includes a light meal (sandwich or salad, fruit, cake or cereal bar, juice, water). If you have any food restrictions, please inform us at least 48h before the tour.
- comfortable, light clothes
- walking boots (please note that, for security reasons, they do not allow the entrance to the cave in flip flops.)
- sweater, raincoat
- hat, sunscreen
- water and snacks
This is an extra service that needs confirmation. If you include it in your reservation, we will contact you within a maximum period of 24 hours.
Below we present the price list per person for pick-up and drop-off by zone of the island (and respective parishes covered):
• Zone 1 (Madalena) – Free
• Zone 2 (Flags, Candelária, Criação Velha, São Caetano, São Mateus, Santa Luzia, Santo António and São Roque do Pico) – 10 €
• Zone 3 (Lajes do Pico, São João, Prainha and Santo Amaro) – 20 €
• Zone 4 (Calheta de Nesquim, Piedade, Ribeiras, Ribeirinha) – 30 €
Select the area where you want us to make the pickup and tell us the exact address on the final page of your reservation.